17 July 2014

Pay for Unhired Volunteer Worker?

I just heard that President Obama and his wife are demanding pay for her, because she is the First Lady.  (Here is one source)  The President says that his wife works very hard as the First Lady and deserves to be paid for her work.  I want to analyze this claim to find the truth.

First, let's start by looking at my personal situation.  I am a computer scientist.  I develop computer programs for a living.  My wife works very hard taking care of our 4 children.  She also does a good deal of service for others when she has time.  According to the Obamas' logic, my employer should pay her for her work.  The work my wife has done was never solicited by my employer.  My employer did not interview her or hire her for this position.  Is it fair that my employer should pay my wife for her work?

The job of First Lady seems like a very difficult and time consuming job.  The fact, however, is that it is not.  The hardest thing the First Lady has to deal with is that she gets to spend less time with her husband, because of how hard and time consuming his work is.  First Lady is not a job title.  No one voted for Michelle Obama to do the work she is doing, she was not appointed to the post, and she was not interviewed or hired for the position.  In fact, the title itself means nothing more than that she is married to the President.  It carries no responsibility.  The First Lady has no responsibilities beyond the normal responsibilities expected of a spouse.  In other words, any work done by the First Lady in that role is volunteer work.  Volunteers do not get paid.  That is just the nature of the work.  If Michelle Obama is overworked, she can quit and go on vacation any time she wants, without any notice.  This is not a job.  This is a hobby.  If she is doing a huge amount of volunteer work, it is her own personal choice, and no one should be forced to pay her for her effort.  Sorry, but these are the facts.  Trying to force someone to pay for unsolicited work is just plain wrong.  If President Obama really wants her to be paid for pushing his political agenda, then he can pay her out of his own pocket.  (He gets a salary of $400,000 a year.  He can afford it.)

I am rather disgusted at our President.  We are still in what is supposedly the tail end of a recession (though there is little evidence it is going to end anytime soon), he is paid substantially more than a vast majority of U.S. citizens, our government is in enormous debt, and he is demanding that his wife get paid for her volunteer work that is primarily designed to advance his personal political agendas.  President Obama, if your wife is not getting paid enough for her volunteer work, she can quit.  I certainly do not want to pay for the labor of a person that was not even hired for the job, and I hope the rest of America is not so deluded as to disagree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment