23 January 2012

Inflation vs Wage Increase

I recently wrote a paper for an English class (which I will post here eventually) based on the income distribution problems in the US. This paper required actual research and citations, so I ended up looking up things like average inflation and wage increase over the last 50 years. What I found is appalling and rather damning for large businesses. It turns out that the current situation is many times worse than I had initially thought.

The two above mentioned statistics (inflation and wage increase) should give a very clear indication of exactly where the problem lies. The statistics are as follows: average inflation from 1961 to now (the last 50 years) is 659%, and average wage increase for the lower 99% of wage earners is 75%. If you don't see the problem, let me explain.

This means that businesses are charging 6.5 times more for goods, but only paying 1.75 times more wages (to 99% of the population). Note that for the top 1%, wage increase is 250%, which is still only half of the rate of inflation. In short, everyone is getting ripped off, except for the few CEOs that are keeping the enormous leftovers.

Ok, this might sound kind of bad now (to me, this by itself is appalling). There is more though. The cost of production is literally at all time lows. I am not talking monetary costs. In the end, all production costs break down to labor. The cost, in labor, of producing even the most advanced technology is less than it has ever been, in the entire history of mankind. Our ability to produce food is legendary. The US produces many times more food than we need and with only a tiny fraction of the available labor. This goes for nearly everything produced in the US. Instead of lower prices however, businesses are raising them. Instead of using the surplus cash to pay their workers a fair wage though, they hoard it, paying their CEOs absurdly high wages (see that xkcd.com comic I posted a bit ago; typical CEO wages are $5,000 an hour), and squandering it on other fairly pointless endeavors.

I tried to explain this to someone recently, and the excuse for inaction was that it is none of our business if other people are getting ripped off by businesses. I was told that I could leave the US if I did not like how the businesses here treat people. First, to my knowledge, there is no place in the world that employers treat their employees fairly. The US and Europe are the best we have (actually, this is debatable) and both stink. This idea that ripping off people is ethical as long as they agree to it is nauseating to me (I believe I also posted my opinion on the idea that it is ethical to charge as much as people are willing to pay; I feel the same about the idea that it is ethical to pay the lowest wages people are willing to work for). Now the first argument, that it is none of our business, is just as bad. This is the argument used by Germans who were not willing to help the Jews. I know a cliche that fits this situation perfectly: "All that is needed for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing." I apologize if some people find this comparison to Nazi Germany to be offensive, but if you will take the time to think about it, you will find that there is little difference. If you believe that slavery in the South was bad and that freeing the slaves was a good thing, then it is hypocritical to claim that this injustice is none of your business. (When I post my paper, you will find that what is happening in the US now is not that far from actual slavery.)

I am a member of the LDS Church, commonly known as Mormons. Most Mormons that I know are very conservative. I consider myself to be fairly conservative (though I do not like to associate myself with the Republican party, as I have found it to be no less corrupt than any other party). Still, my religion dictates that it is my business to care that my fellow humans are being treated unfairly and are being oppressed. I have heard the argument that those running businesses have the agency to choose how to treat their employees. This, however, is not a valid excuse to allow them to continue to rob them of fairly earned wages. This argument is as valid as the argument that thieves should not be prevented from robbery (or punished for it), because they have the agency to act as they please. We live in a democratically run government (at least, in theory). It is the business of the people to enforce fairness. This is the purpose of a democratic government. My religion specifically states that I am my brother's keeper and that the term "brother" is used to represent every human ever born and that ever will be born. In short, my religion expressly dictates that how others are treated by their employers is my business. The agency of others does not even apply in this case. Any Mormon that tries to use this argument as an excuse for inaction does not understand the teachings of their religion. This applies equally to any religion that believes the Bible to be the Word of God.

One of these days, I will work out the math for these rates and post a projection for cost versus pay 50 years from now. I suspect that it will predict that 99% (or more) of the US population will not make enough money to eat without being on welfare in 50 years.

I doubt that this will ever happen, however. If the situation continues to decay, the Occupy Wall Street movement will eventually evolve into a violent revolution, and our government and all of the big businesses that control it will be destroyed. If the government tries to quell the movement, it will be another Tienanmen Square and will probably result in even a more violent revolution. Of course, maybe this is what SOPA and PIPA are all about. Maybe our government is trying to gain control of the internet so that they can kill thousands of protestors and then cover it up, just like China did. I doubt that it will work here, however. If nothing else, the nerds (I include myself in this group) will manage to spread the news even against all the efforts of the government to cover it up.

Since my last few posts, the government has not done anything significant to appease the 99%. In fact, they have blatantly tried to further oppress them (SOPA, PIPA). At the rate they are going, revolution is nigh. I recommend preparing. Still, don't give up. If it is possible to force our government to acknowledge that it is at the mercy of the people, peacefully, then it will take the effort of as much of the US population as possible.

Lord Rybec

3 comments:

  1. I would like to add an additional note for LDS people reading this: In the last few years, I have heard the subject of fair pay mentioned in General Conference talks. I believe this subject has also come up in Church discussions and meetings in the past. The wording was something to the effect of, "Employers, pay your employees fair wages." Those who are members of this Church will recognize that this wording is by way of commandment. In short, we have been commanded to pay our employees fairly. Those who are members will also recognize that this extends beyond members of our Church. If it is fair to enforce commandments like "Though shalt not steal," then it is just as fair to enforce this commandment.

    Lord Rybec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. 2 points: 1) the next counterargument you are likely to run into is about corporations. A) Corporations are huge money making machines required to maximize profits for their investors: no one in the corporation is personally accountable for raising wages. B) this is the non-state way of caring for the elderly (through corporate investment.) 2) volatile revolution can happen with minimal violence, and arguably we are in the mid-beginning of one now (the blackout, the go-to source for information being a wiki site, people becoming comfortable with underemployment, and other radical social changes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) This is true, but should not be. In the distant past, employers often felt an obligation to their employees, to support them and their families. This engendered feelings of loyalty towards employers from the employees. Modern businesses expect loyalty from employees, but without any accountability for the well being of them. Regardless of any excuses, this is wrong. If the businesses are going to use their employees like mindless resources, they should have no expectation of loyalty from employees. In short, if no one in a business is accountable for making sure employees are paid fairly, then the business is being run extremely poorly, as well as extremely unethically. (How many businesses use machines, but do not make sure they are regularly serviced and maintained? How many businesses do not fix their machines when they break? Are not machines treated better than human workers in most businesses?)

    2) This is also true. We are currently at the beginning of a potentially peaceful revolution. There are two ways for it to remain peaceful. First, if the government complies with the desires of the majority (as it is legally obligated to do) in a timely fashion, then it will hardly be a revolution at all, and will have no cause for violence. Second, if the people of the US quit voting for greed driven idiots(in all areas of government), then we could replace the entire government without any violence. I personally like the second option, because if the current government complies, it will only comply as far as is required to prevent violent revolution. If neither of these options are taken, then some amount of violence will be mandatory. Given the political climate of the US right now, a violent revolution could easily destroy not just our government, but the fairly democratic rule that we have enjoyed for over 200 years. I think that we could easily decay into a system of warlords vying for power, if our current government were violently overthrown.

    My policy is to hope for peaceful revolution, but prepare for a violent one.

    Lord Rybec

    ReplyDelete